BUSINESS INSIDER.COM August 20, 2019 – Following his talks with NRA chief executive Wayne LaPierre and gun rights activists, President Donald Trump struck a different tone on potential gun regulations in the weeks after two mass shootings, according to a New York Times report.
The NRA reportedly launched a campaign to contact lawmakers
in the wake of the back-to-back El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, shootings on
August 3 and August 4. Both gunmen wielded assault-style rifles in the separate
shootings that killed 31 people.
Trump personally spoke to LaPierre multiple times, according to several news reports that were published earlier in August. LaPierre was said to have voiced his displeasure on expanded background checks, a potential piece of legislation that received bipartisan support in Congress.
LaPierre reportedly claimed the proposed legislation would
not align with his supporters’ views, a source familiar with the conversation
previously said to CNN.
Immediately following the shootings, Trump signaled he was
willing to broach the subject.
“Well I’m looking to do background checks,” Trump
said to reporters. “I think background checks are important. I don’t want
to put guns into the hands of mentally unstable people or people with rage or
But in the weeks since, Trump said he was “very concerned” with the Second Amendment and claimed, “people don’t realize we have very strong background checks right now.”
Trump reportedly privately noted the waning influence of the non-profit organization, which was shaken by a tumultuous leadership scandal earlier this year and is embroiled in numerous lawsuits, including one by the New York attorney general’s office for its finances.
A White House spokesman told The Times that Trump’s recent
comments were not a reversal of his prior statements.
Democratic leaders did not remain optimistic for a potential policy shift from the White House. [Read More]
DUCKS.ORG From the Archives – Located in the heart of the lower Mississippi Flyway,
Bob Rogers is the Editor and Publisher of GunPro Plus, America’s premier daily digital gun news portal. After a successful 20-year career as the Editor for a major magazine in the gun industry, Bob launched GunPro Plus to bring his industry expertise on gun news into the digital realm.